Application Deadline: September 1, 2017 @ 11:59 PM EDT (Applications for 2018 will be accepted after July 1, 2017)
Pharmaceutics is the science that deals with drug delivery systems—in particular, the design and evaluation of contemporary pharmaceutical dosage forms and systems to ensure their safety, efficacy, and reliability. It is a multidisciplinary discipline with significant underpinnings from basic sciences such as physical chemistry, physical organic chemistry, and biophysics.
Pharmaceutics strongly emphasizes quantitative understanding and use of the principles underlying drug delivery and drug transport, whether a drug is a small organic molecule, a higher molecular weight peptide, a protein derived through biotechnology, or an oligonucleotide-like molecule for gene therapy. It is also concerned with the impact of formulation composition and manufacturing/engineering factors on the quality of a dosage form and its physical and chemical stability.
As advances in genomics—the study of genes and their functions—result in identification and production of functional genes, a quantitative understanding of factors influencing gene therapy delivery will become an increasingly important component of pharmaceutics.
- To provide stipend support for individuals engaged in a multidisciplinary research training program that will extend their credentials in pharmaceutics.
- To enable faculty with active research programs to work outside of their institutions for a period of six months to one year to learn new skills or develop collaborations that will enhance their research and research training capabilities.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Eligible applicants must 1) hold a Ph.D., Pharm.D., M.D. or Sc.D. degree in a field of study logically or functionally related to the proposed post doctoral activities, 2) hold a faculty appointment that presents eligibility for sabbatical leave from their institution, 3) have institutional approval of a sabbatical plan that includes partial salary matching the PhRMA Foundation stipend, and 4) have an endorsement from a mentor who agrees to sponsor the applicant’s visiting scientist activity.
- Eligible candidates will have approval for sabbatical leave from their institution and a commitment from the research mentor who will host them at the visiting institution.
- The applicant and mentor of the program must describe how the multidisciplinary goals of the research experiential program will be accomplished, and provide assurance that key collaborating mentors endorse and are willing to support the plan.
- Matching funds must be provided by the institution.
- All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- This fellowship primarily encourages mid-career scientists to engage in a year-long experiential program that will refocus their core research on areas of emerging importance in health outcomes.
Awards may be activated beginning January 1, 2018, or on the first day of any month thereafter, up to and including December 1, 2018.
A stipend of $40,000, payable quarterly for a minimum of six months and a maximum of one year, will be provided.
The program provides no other subsidies (travel, tuition, fringe benefits, indirect institutional costs, etc.).
The award will be made to the institution on behalf of the fellow.
Sabbatical Fellowship Application Components
1. General Registration Information
2. Applicant CV or bio sketch
3. Extended Letter
This letter is an opportunity to tell us who you are and to detail your plans for your future. Include a synopsis of your career, tell us your interests and describe your desired future career path. Your letter should not exceed 2 pages of size 12 font.
4. Research Abstract
An abstract of approximately 200 words concerning the proposed research plan
5. Research Plan
The applicant must prepare a comprehensive statement, not to exceed eight single-spaced pages of size 12 font of the plans for research, and for education and training in this discipline. Applicants are requested to use a format similar to that specified for the submission of grants to the National Institutes of Health, which includes a description of the objective(s), rationale, methods of approach and a bibliography of major references (the bibliography is not included in the eight page limit). The use of human subjects should be addressed in the research plan. Preliminary results should be included in the narrative of the research proposal and reprints of up to three key papers may be included.
6. Home Department Chair’s information including an email address.
The home department chair must provide a letter of recommendation and confirm approval for the sabbatical leave.
7. Host Department Chair Information including an email address.
The host department chair must provide a letter identifying the department of the institution in which the position and training will be established and its affiliation with whatever other departments may be jointly involved in said training. The letter should identify other individuals with whom the applicant will be directly involved and in what fashion and the date on which the position described will be started.
8. Sponsor information and bio sketch
The letter should include a brief description of the training and research facilities that will be available to the candidate at the host institution and an indication of approval of the applicant’s plan from all collaborators participating in the sabbatical activity.
9. Information and letters of reference from up to 3 other individuals familiar with your scientific career.
Copies of relevant articles published by the applicant.
Letters and third-party materials should not be uploaded by the applicant. The application process will request contact information, including an email address, for your chair, thesis advisor, and additional reference. These individuals will receive a prompt from the application system with instructions for uploading their document(s), which will be appended to the application. The deadline date for letters and third-party materials is September 15, 2017.
Based on our policy, we do not provide written reviews.
The 2018 Pharmaceutics brochure will be available later this year.